Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, In The Sun We Go...

Product Review, Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SunBlock Lotion SPF 60+

Living in central Florida with a family has many wonderful benefits – Disney, SeaWorld, Universal… all are within a 15 minute drive. Most days are sunny and warm, which makes the view out the window very uplifting. The vegetation is lush and tropical, and interesting little critters run around beneath our feet. These reasons and more make Florida one of my favorite states.

I just mentioned that most days are sunny. This is nice for those of us who tan well… I do, and I almost never burn. However, my young son, 8 ½ months old now, is Snow White fair. He must have gotten it from his Daddy, who is also very fair. This presents a problem, because I don’t want my boy getting a nasty sun burn during the wonderfully sunny summer months. To top it off, my husband’s family has a history of skin cancer. My husband himself just had an appointment with the dermatologist to have some suspicious bumps removed. Naturally, I am now very concerned about sun exposure.

Now that he is old enough, I have been looking for a good sunblock for the baby. There are several brands that are starting to put out “baby” sunblock, although I don’t believe there is any true difference beyond the label. While browsing lotions, I chose one by Neutrogena, called Pure & Free Baby. I chose it because the ingredients are supposedly naturally-sourced (whatever that means), but more importantly, it is fragrance-free and hypoallergenic. My son doesn’t seem to have terribly sensitive skin when it comes to lotions and bath products, but why risk it since he will be wearing this lotion every day for the next five or six months.

I do like Neutrogena’s product, and may use it again in the future. It seems to work very well for my son. He has yet to get a burn. The lotion goes on thick and creamy, and soaks in very quickly even though I put on a lot. It is also non-greasy. The thing I don’t like is that it tends to build up in the creases of his elbows and knees and that it leaves a slight residue. I can’t tell if it dries his skin, or if his skin feels somewhat rough because of this residue.

I will probably try a different lotion next time I buy sunblock (soon, we go through it quickly). I have heard good things about Banana Boat’s organic Sun Wear SPF 50. This was recommended by my mother-in-law’s dermatologist. I already use Banana Boat Sun Wear Faces on my husband. It is oil-free and ultra sheer, but it is only SPF 30. This is a good product, and I think Banana Boat is a good brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment