Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Box That Carries Nothing

Product Review, Empty Box

We are going to Virginia Beach for the Fourth of July weekend, to visit my grandmother. I want her to meet her fifth great-grandson (the other four belong to my cousins, not me… just needed to clear that up…). While I was talking to her today I mentioned how much my son loves playing with everything except his toys. This reminded me of one of the greatest baby toys ever: the empty cardboard box.

Like many other children, my son will play with a toy for about two minutes, then goes after the box it came in. I stopped getting new toys long ago, and simply give my son cardboard or fabric scraps. This may sound cruel, but he has a ball. I let him get into the Tupperware cupboard in the kitchen and he goes nuts with the lids. The drawback here is that the system works like an ant trap – the bait kills ants but first it attracts them, bringing even more into the house than there were before. So now the baby is always in the kitchen, a somewhat dangerous place for a youngling to hang out.

No comments:

Post a Comment