Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

I am terrible at keeping surprises and presents secret. Father's Day is tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to give my husband his impromptu present. I got it at the bookstore today... from the board book section.

I was technically looking at books for my son, and I was in the Sandra Boynton SECTION. Yes, that's right, she has an entire section of the bookstore devoted to her silly, hilarious children's books. I was just casually browsing the titles, and my eye lit upon Your Personal Penguin. I have a soft spot for penguins. Mainly because I think of my husband as my little penguin (he thinks of my as his little raptor...). When I saw this book I instantly thought of my husband.

As I started to read through this book, my eyes started to mist a little because it is so sweet and poignant. Romantic is a better word. While this book is cute for young children, it is better for a spouse. It would make a great Valentine's Day gift book.

The penguin says, "But if I could be yours and you could be mine, our cozy little world would be twice as nice." He follows one of Boynton's hippos around saying, "Look at these wings, so perfect to hold you."

The book is great by itself, but just in case you want a little more, there is a catchy accompanying song sung by Davy Jones of The Monkees that can be downloaded for free. The whole package is terribly sappy.

I knew that this book would be the perfect Father's Day gift that I had been instructed (by my little penguin) not to get. And I couldn't keep it a secret until tomorrow because I am an impatient little raptor.

No comments:

Post a Comment